What is asbestos ?

Asbestos : definition

Asbestos is an industrial term and not mineralogical. It is a generic name designating several fibrous silicate minerals, called asbestiform. The typical fibrous characteristic presents precise criteria of size, thickness, flexibility and separability.
Asbestos is amphibole : ferrogedrite and anthophyllite (amosite or brown asbestos), riebeckite (crocidolite, also called blue asbestos), more rarely actinote and tremolite, and serpentines : chrysotile (white asbestos). Asbestos belonging to the amphibole group represented only 5% of world asbestos production, the remaining 95% being represented by chrysotile.
Their main use is in the building industry : for the manufacture of fireproof materials, thermal and electrical insulation panels. The softness of the fibers and their flexibility, their incombustibility as well as their resistance to heat and their capacity of thermal insulation also predispose them to the manufacture of fabrics (felts, flocking) especially flame retardant and thermal protection (lining of ovens, gloves and thermal protective clothing). The risks of cancer linked to the absorption of fibers by the respiratory tract greatly limit the uses of asbestos. Amphiboles seem more harmful, especially crocidolite. On the other hand, asbestos does not present a danger to be ingested or handled.

Asbestos and collectible minerals

Some asbestos participate in the genesis of ornamental stones, so the tiger's eye is a quartz with inclusion of oxidized crocidolite (hence its brown color due to the presence of goethite). Similarly, the striped serpentine (chrysotile) and frequently used in jewelry in the form of a cabochon (photo on the right). Finally, some collection minerals have a matrix made up of asbestos, such as certain demantoid garnets for example.

All stones containing asbestos are safe for collection or handling as long as they are not ground or sanded.


This service is used to secure web forms of our website and required if you want to contact us. By accepting it you agree to Google's privacy policy: https://policies.google.com/privacy

Google Analytics

Google Analytics is a service used on our website that tracks, reports traffic and measures how users interact with our website content in order for us to improve it and provide better services.


Our website allows you to like or share its content on Facebook social network. By activating and using it you agree to Facebook's privacy policy: https://www.facebook.com/policy/cookies/


Integrated videos provided by YouTube are used on our website. By accepting to watch them you agree to Google's privacy policy: https://policies.google.com/privacy


Integrated tweets and share services of Twitter are used on our website. By accepting and using these you agree to Twitter's privacy policy: https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/twitter-cookies


Our website allows you to share its content on PInterest social network. By activating and using it you agree to PInterest's privacy policy: https://policy.pinterest.com/en/privacy-policy/